16 Fat Loss Tips to get your started so you can bask in all those other health benefits that come along with it.
1. Eat more fruits: Studies at Penn State University proved that increasing fruit intake helps facilitate weight loss.
3. Lift weights. Build more muscle, burn more calories.
4. Start meals with a salad and low-fat dressing. Salad will provide some bulk to help fill you up, so you eat less calories overall.
5. Eat more protein. Replacing refined carbohydrates with lean protein will not only help satiate you, but will also increase your metabolism.
6. Eat more veggies. They fill you up, without providing many calories. Just avoid the high fat/high calorie dressings.
7. Include low-fat water based soups as snacks with meals. This will help fill you up and decrease the amount of calories and fat you consume.
8. Don’t forget the fiber. Think of fiber like a sponge; it absorbs water and makes you feel full.
9. Lift heavy to build muscle. Put down the pink 1-lb. dumbbells and push some iron. Don’t worry; you won’t get “too big.” What you’ll get is a fat burning machine.
10. Bump up the intensity – make your workouts count!
11. Take a walk. The more calories you can burn each day, the better.
12. Replace one meal/day with a large salad and lean proteins.
13. Portion control. Avoid the buffet line and never super size a thing; instead make sure you’re following what the nutrition label recommends for a serving.
14. Switch to calorie-free drinks. All calories count, whether they’re liquid or solid, so unless it’s milk, opt for tea or water.
15. Don’t drink juice; eat the whole fruit. The whole fruit provides more nutrients and fills you up more.
16. Eat breakfast. A review published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that those who ate breakfast were more successful with long-term weight maintenance. Other research has shown the same for weight loss. Grab a yogurt, a piece of fruit, or make a smoothie. It doesn’t have to be fancy.
By Christopher R. Mohr, eDiets.com, April 2006